Sentence beginning with: I wish I
had said:
I wish I had said I was already busy when Maggie asked me to
go on a double date with her and Nick. There was nothing worse than being fixed
up and having to spend an entire evening sitting across from a complete
stranger. There was always something wrong with the delightful men Maggies
chose to set me up with. The last one had gigantic hands and slightly crossed
eyes. Every time he spoke I thought he was talking to someone at the next
table.
“You know what big hands are a sign of, don’t you?” Maggie tried to offer a consolation.
I dialled her number to see if I could get out of it.
“Hey,” she answered, her tone cheery, ‘all ready for
tonight?”
“I’ve decided I’m not going,” I declared, adding a cough for
effect. “tell him I died in a tragic accident or something.”
“Don’t do this to me,” Maggie pleaded using her desperate
voice, “he’s really excited and I think you’ll like this one. He’s a bit rough
around the edges, but he’s nice.”
Rough around the edges? The homeless guy that often hung
around near my work came to mind. I didn’t mind a man that looked a little
scruffy, but knowing Maggie….
Sentence beginning with: I need proof
“I need proof that he’s a cheating, lying bastard before I
confront him.” There was no way I could go forward with my plan without being
absolutely sure it was all true.
“How much proof do you need?” Alice asked. Mum saw him at
the hotel and the messages you found on his phone weren’t exactly innocent.
“I need more,” I insisted. “He’s got a ‘meeting’ after work
today and I’m going to follow him.” I paused, my stomach churning with
anticipation of the task. “I need to see her. I need to see who he’s been
sleeping with and is worth losing his family over.”
‘Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?” She
offered. ‘I can help. I could drive the getaway car.”
“It’s not a bank heist,” I laughed, “but I appreciate the
offer. I need to do this alone.”
John made his way from the car park into the Hyatt hotel. My
blood was already boiling. I talked myself out of surprising him from behind
and tackling him to the floor to get a confession.